Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Recent Eats in Words and Pictures


A friend at the library saw that I had just checked out The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook yesterday. She and I both love to bake, so she asked if I'd made anything good lately. I was embarrassed to reply that, no, I really hadn't. 

Since she told me Big Sur is a fantastic cookbook, I resolved to go home and bake something that very night. I found a recipe for a marmalade tart that seemed like the perfect way to use up a jar of marmalade in the back of the fridge (I don't particularly like marmalade, but I'd needed it for a recipe for Thanksgiving).


 The result: the perfect mix of sour and sweet atop an impressively flaky crust. Recipe available here and here.


I'm working on improving my cake baking skills, so I've recently (ahem, in the last few months) churned out a heart-shaped, flourless chocolate confection from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook

Aptly named the "tiny but intense chocolate cake." Need to try my hand at this again to see if I can get it to not collapse.

…and a simple yellow cake from Bouchon Bakery, artistically decorated with strawberry coulis.

To make a strawberry coulis, blend a pint of hulled strawberries (preferably organic) with a spoonful of powdered sugar and a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Drizzle over anything and everything, or eat it straight from the jar.

Still, as much as I might like to eat cakes and tarts and cookies all day long, I've got to sneak in some vegetables somewhere. If you're not sick of eating squash all winter long, might I direct your attention to this 100% vegan, totally healthy, impressively creamy roasted butternut alfredo


Just remember to save some room for a slice of cake for dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment